Dealing With Rap Writers Block
So you have this wonderful rap idea in your head. And rap writer’s block is starting to plague you before you begin to write any lyrics. When you finally get a pen and paper, but you are now finding it hard to write the right hip hop lyrics to add to these Slow rap beats that you have heard.
In other words, you are suffering from rap writer’s block and what you just wanna do is to overcome it. If you are constantly battling with writer’s block whenever you try to write rap songs, you have found the right article to provide you the tips and techniques you can do on how to overcome with rap writer’s block. Read the list below.
1. Pick 5 Random Words – One of the things you can do to overcome rappers writer’s block is to choose 5 random words you can think of. List down these words on a piece of paper and then try to come up with lyrics where these words connect together. By doing this, you’ll be able to encourage yourself to think and think. Picking 5 random words does not pressure you and is easy to do even though you are currently experiencing writer’s block.
2. Get Rid Of “Inner Hate” – Rap experts say that in order for you to overcome rap writers block, you have to get rid of that annoying voice in your head that says you are not good enough, you are not going to make it, or you won’t be able to write another great song. You need to remove your inner hate or else, you will always struggle when it comes to writing lyrics.
3. Take A Short Break – Do not force something if it is really impossible to do it. However, this does not mean that you won’t do it anymore. If you are currently having rap writer’s block, it is okay to take a short break, say 5 to 10 minutes.
This way, you’ll be able to recharge your mind. Once you go back to writing your lyrics, you feel refreshed. Sometimes writer’s block happens because your mind is so preoccupied, that is why it becomes harder for you to think and be creative. During short breaks, you can listen to your favorite song, take a short walk, take a nap or do something that relaxes you.
How to get rid of writer’s block for rappers
4. Do Not Limit Yourself – Another great tip you can follow is do not be so serious about it that you forget the importance of just expressing yourself. Remember that rapping is about self-expression. In other words, you have to remove any writing restrictions. Let yourself go and just allow yourself to write what is really on your mind as of the moment.
5. Try To Look For Inspiration – Sometimes, rappers write their songs based on their own experiences and the most important people in their life. One of the techniques you can do to overcome a hip hop artists writer’s block is to think of and look for an inspiration. It could be a person, a thing, an experience, or a current situation you’re in. By doing this, it awakens your creativity. You may take a walk along the streets and you might be surprised what ideas you can come up with.
6. Eliminate Distractions – When writing lyrics for a rap song, it is important to remind yourself to do it in a comfortable, peaceful environment. However, one cannot deny the fact that sometimes ideas just pop up all of a sudden even if you are in a busy environment.
But still, if you are currently having a rap writer’s block, it is advisable to write the rap lyrics in an environment where you can fully concentrate. As much as possible, get rid of cellphones and other distractions as of the moment. Or, you may need to have a particular room in your house where you can write your songs with full focus and concentration. The choice is up to you.
If you constantly experience rap writer’s block, you can follow the tips and techniques mentioned above. Always remind yourself that rappers writer’s block really happens. All you need to do is learn how to deal with it.
Sometimes, the best thing to do is to keep in mind that there is freedom in your pen. Use your pen to express yourself. And also, do not be discouraged if you suffer from such thing once in a while because it also happens to even the best rap artists and songwriters out there.